Thursday 9 August 2012

The Perfect Escape

"The perfect escape", the one place in the world that you would love to run away to when life gets rough. At the minute, my perfect escape would be to India.
When in India, I discovered a new way of life completely! One in which the people walked slower, took their time to eat and devoted time to their spiritual side.
Now that I'm back almost 3 weeks now, I have had time to reflect on my experiences in India.


The children we met were so happy with so little, and were so easily pleased. Take for example the day we gave out balloons. Ok, so if I handed you a balloon you would be pretty unamused, but to these kids and young girls, these balloons provided an hours worth of entertainment!
They all accepted and welcomed us warmly into their community and really appreciated our presence with them. The project I was working on was with a charity called Green Tara, and charity with inspired me greatly to keep fighting and raising awareness for the inequality against women. I promise to devote a whole blog post to the charity Green Tara, as it is a real inspiration. So we were placed in a center in the middle of a slum, and asked to teach the adolescent girls there basic hygiene and nutrition, things that they would not be taught in school, if they attended one that is. At the start I really thought  it would be a difficult task, and was nervous and excited all at once. But when I arrived at the center and met the girls, all my nerves disappeared as they were so friendly and appreciative of our presence. I bonded well with all the girls, and despite the language barrier, made friends with them. By the end, the girls were asking us to come back next year and visit them! And I would actually love to!


Another thing I love about India is how spiritual everyone is! Where we were staying we were awoken every morning at 5am by the prayer call from the local temple! One religion that really stood out to me on the trip was Buddhism. In the center we were working in there was a shrine to Buddha and the more I learnt about the mantra of Buddha and the way in which Buddhists lived their lives, the more intrigued I got! One of the things I was told about Buddhism was that Buddha taught that we must forget about the past, the bad and the good, as they are just memories, but it is what you do in the present that will define your life and be your fate ....
So guys, try that out! Live in the buddhist philosphacy, forget the past, even though forgetting the good stuff is hard, we must live in the present and just love life in general! 
Vicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment