Wednesday 12 September 2012

Dear 16 year old me ...

Today, again on facebook, I came across this video.
It's entitled "Dear 16 year old me". Now the title of the video may be misleading, but this video targets a sensitive issue in a very emotional and heartfelt way.


Watch this... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jgUcxMezM
Its made by the David Cornfield Melanoma Fund.
 If you want more information on the fund check out the website   http://dcmf.ca/
"Melanoma is a young person's disease"

Watching this short video really brought a tear to my eye, something as simple as sunbathing - when you're young and careless - can impact you greatly later in life.
This video actually provoked me to go and book a doctor's appointment! If you're anything like me, you may have been sunburned many times in your childhood. I don't do it on purpose... I simply have the complexion of a ginger (no offence intended) despite my brunette hair!
The girls in India can vouch for me here, that every day I applied factor 50 to my skin, yet still I got some sunburn.

Melanoma is a rising concern in our healthcare, and it is blamed mostly on the sunbed craze and the desire to be tanned like our idols from California, however our skin here in the UK and especially Northern Ireland is not adapted for intense UV rays, as we mostly get rain!

So watch this video and really think about it! What would you tell your younger self? 
The one line I loved from this video is "Spend as much time with your friends and family as possible" 
If you do want more information, check out the link to the David Cornfield website, it have some information on David's story, looking for moles and the impact of melanoma. Oh and remember to share the video on facebook and twitter!

On a lighter note, a friend of mine told me looked pregnant today! How nice ...
Love
Vicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment