Wednesday 3 October 2012

Broken world, Broken Laptop, Broken keys...

To begin, I will explain my choice of title. 
Broken laptop, refers to my laptop that is currently taking a mental breakdown in my time of great need for it. Really, it wont switch on and has died due to over use ... I'm very sad about this! :( This will explain why I haven't blogged in a while. Right now I am blogging off my sisters laptop, which is nothing like my own *Weep*

Moving swiftly on, broken keys refers to my car keys which my sister managed to smash, meaning I couldn't get into my car ... smart design!! (obviously invented by a man!) 
My Smashed Keys
Broken world is a simple observation. This weekend I was in London at a Advocate! meeting. Advocate is a youth panel of 14 girls who "discuss and engage people with the issues that girls care about."
Whilst there, we got a brilliant talk promoting the "World Association of GirlGuides and Girl Scouts" (WAGGGS) campaign on "Stop the Violence". It was highlighted to us the inequality that still exists between men and women, and how this was partly due to the media. I have devoted a post to this campaign before and intend to devote a few more because it is a great cause to support.
What I wanted to highlight from the talk that we got, is the fact that we are constantly bombarded by the media on our position in society. We were shown a series of music videos and had to identify the male and female roles in each video. It was shocking the messages that we are subconsciously receiving every time we listen to our favourite artist or watch their music video.
An example is Akon's "Smack that" where Akon, is this powerful man with his expensive car and bad boy status, and is walking into clubs with scantly dressed women dancing provocatively on top of the bar. Or Rhianna and Eminem's "Love the way you lie" where an abusive relationship is shown and the female saying "I love the way you lie" or "I like the way it hurts". It also shows the male role being dominant again, pushing the girl and hitting her, forcing her to do the things she doesn't want to do, or starting a fight because she is talking to another man. A line in the song threatens that if she tries to leave he'll "tie her to the bed and set this house on fire". We also looked at a classic hit by Britney Spears "hit me baby one more time", she wants to be hit?! WHAT?! I sang along to this in childhood! If you remember the music video for this, you will see Britney in her school uniform yet its all very revealing... an example of early sexualisation of girls. 
Although you may have always thought these things to be innocent, its funny how our subconcious works. We are constantly being sent these subtle messages, hidden behind the "norm" for the media, yet when you actually analyse it, it is shocking what we are being fed!

Personally, I fully give my support to this campaign! Its a great one, that addresses issues locally, nationally and globally and is something that needs changed.

A video on the "Stop the Violence" campaign : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKtiEFjcnA

One last reminder.... Thursday 11th October, which is tomorrow week!, is the international "day of the Girl". This day gives the opportunity to raise public awareness of the differrent types of discrimination and abuse that many girls suffer from. So make great use of your day to advocate for girls rights! Get planning and let me know how it goes!

Love 
Vicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment